by Angela Bourassa (@angelabourassa1)
This has been months in the making, and I am thrilled to finally announce that LA Screenwriter has partnered with LiveRead/LA to launch an annual international screenwriting competition called Write/LA.
With new screenwriting contests popping up every week, I have long resisted the idea of LA Screenwriter launching an annual competition. My goal with this site has always been to provide writers with real value, so I didn’t want to start an annual competition just to start one and wind up offering a prize package that wouldn’t actually help anyone further their career.
Then I met Tim Schildberger.
Tim runs a company called LiveRead/LA which offers an every-six-weeks screenwriting competition, live read events, writing workshops, and consulting services in Los Angeles. LiveRead/LA does a little bit of everything, but Tim had big dreams for an annual competition – Write/LA.
What we’ve created is a competition that we hope will be on par with the likes of Nicholls, The PAGE Awards, and the Austin Screenwriting Competition.
The Write/LA prize package is completely unique. For starters, the grand prize goes to not one but three writers, and the winning scripts can be for either feature or television projects — they’ll be judged together. No style, format, or genre will get any sort of preference, because the goal of Write/LA is to find great storytellers who are on the cusp of launching a screenwriting career.
The three winners will receive:
- An Industry Experience – Opportunities to learn from multiple Industry Insiders during a three-night trip to Los Angeles, which includes airfare and accommodations at The Standard in Hollywood.
- A Private Writing Workshop – Two days of masterclasses on character, subtext, dialogue, and more led by Write/LA Head Judge Tim Schildberger.
- An Exclusive Live Read Gala – The winners will be the guests of honor at an invite-only event in Los Angeles at which professional actors will read up to 30 pages of each winning script on stage.
Experience, education, and celebration. We’re bringing all three together with Write/LA. And beyond the grand prize, we have exciting prizes for the runners-up, as well.
- 50 quarterfinalists receive two tickets each to the private Live Read Gala.
- 20 semi-finalists receive a phone call after the contest wraps from Head Judge Tim Schildberger to discuss their script.
- 8 finalists receive written feedback on their script from a working Industry Insider.
And that’s just the beginning.
Write/LA opens for entries on March 23, 2018. In the meantime,
- check out the official website for all the prize and contest details
- follow the new Write/LA social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- and remember to sign up for the Write/LA mailing list
We hope you’re as excited as we are. Best of luck in the competition!
Angela Bourassa is the founder and Editor in Chief of LA Screenwriter.